Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mistake #1 Public Confrontation

Yes, I know it goes without saying.

But when you're new you want to do a good job. You want everyone to think that you've got everything under control. And when you don't, you want everyone to know that you're dealing with the issues.

Yes, I have made this mistake.

I was concerned that fellow employees and superiors would notice the issues with my newly inherited team and would be sure to label me as a bad manager and so when I saw the problem occuring, I noticed it in a public way. To be honest, I actually thought there was no one around. Make that one Mistake #1.2.

Of course, someone (or multiple someone's) did overhear my public dressdown and also of course, reported it nearly immediately to one of my superiors. And then I got the dressdown. In private. By that time I had already regretted my actions and knew that I needed to make it right.

The biggest problem with a mistake like this is the damage it does to a relationship - particularly one that is already tenuous. Another problem? I can never, ever, take my words or actions back. They're out there and potentially damaging to another human being. And when that human being is already insecure, down on themselves, or in a position they don't enjoy, it makes it hard for them to come back to be a happy, productive worker. Oh, and did I mention I was wrong in my position? In my frustration, I didn't even listen or allow for an explanation. I get a total fail for this one.

Yes, I have vowed never to make this mistake again.

Not only did I hurt someone else, I hurt someone in a less powerful position. That person doesn't have a lot of recourse when it's they're supervisor. And not only did I hurt that person, I could have potentially done a lot of damage to my reputation. I could have closed a lot of other doors to communication with my team. Fortunately, I recognized what I had done and worked to repair the damage. And I made a personal commitment never to do this again.

Have you made this mistake? What was the end result?

No comments: